Thanks to the community votes in our contest, SiteCake was selected to be packaged as part of the BitNami Library. You can now download free, ready to run native installers for Windows, OS X and Linux, virtual machines and Windows Azure & Amazon EC2 cloud images.
If you just want to check out SiteCake, you can instantly launch a free 1-hour cloud demo server with the BitNami Cloud Launchpad by clicking the button below. The default password is "bitnami".
Nikola Mircic, developer of the SiteCake project, was kind enough to answer some questions for those of you who may not be familiar with the project.
1. What is the goal of the SiteCake application?
SiteCake's goal is to make website editing a simple, drag-and-drop experience. Every type of file, document, media file or item you drag on your website SiteCake should be able to interpret and integrate in the most meaningful and beautiful way. On the other hand, SiteCake should empower designers to make pure HTML websites editable. No savvy developers needed.
|SiteCake CMS sample application|
2. What are some of the features of SiteCake?
- SiteCake is very basic CMS, it has only 10% of the feature set of other systems, but it is the 10% that is used 90% of the time.
- It's true WYSIWYG. There is no separate admin section, you can click any page element and edit it in-place.
- There is no special template system. Editable zones are assigned with simple css 'sc-content' class.
- It's the fastest CMS on the market - all server calls are done in the background.
- It has unlimited undo steps. It allows you to experiment and be creative.
- Also many more little things that make the experience of editing frictionless.
3. Which projects or organizations are using SiteCake currently?
SiteCake is a CMS for simple static websites that need partial content updates. We targeted small businesses, organizations or event organizers. Restaurants that need an easy way to update daily menus, B&B hotels that want to change prices and accommodation details quickly, NGOs, event websites and portfolios.
4. What do you expect will be the main benefits of having BitNami packages available for SiteCake?
With Bitnami packages, cloud will become an easy hosting option for small business and personal websites. Packages are great opportunity for a user to quickly test and evaluate the CMS.
We are glad that SiteCake is now part of BitNami. Would you like your favorite app to be part of BitNami? Be sure to suggest and vote for it in our contest!